Friday 13 May 2011

DAY 21 Running for the Border

 We left from the comfort of Will's luxury abode and started paddling at around 7am. Will stayed with us till halfway across the mouth of Strangford Lough, he pointed out the new turbine in the neck of the Lough as well as St Patricks split rock. It was great to see Will and to meet his lovely wife and children, albeit briefly. 

 We hoped to make the northern end of Dublin Bay today but the wind gave us no respite and within an hour we were pulling into Ardglass searching for sustenance in the form of a breakfast, which consisted of deep fried sausage, fried egg and bacon between two pieces of toasted soda bread, washed down with coffee. Why am I telling you this? Well we were about to get well and truly nailed going straight across Dundrum bay into a force 5 occasionally 6 headwind and we needed that extra food, our bodies are hungry for fatty foodstuffs. In fact Harry has lost well over a stone in weight in the last three weeks, I'm not sure how much weight I've lost but I can just about see my feet now!

 We crossed straight over the bay quite by mistake, I was picking my way through the rocks at St Johns point and turned to come out when a large swell threatened to put me on the shore, Harry thought I was turning out into the crossing and turned too. I looked at Harry turning out to sea and thought 'bold boys going straight across, that's a bit hard core' so turned and followed, it wasn't until 3 1/2 hours later when we crawled, broken, out of our kayaks like whimpering kittens that we realised what had happened-'why on earth did you chose to cross against the tide and wind Harry?' I replied - 'I was following you'



 Anyway we are now sat eating fish n' chips in Kilkeel. Fat and carbs (Guinness) is the order for this day we think.
 
 Jeff and Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment